Seven Super Foods For NavratriDt. Shahenaz Shaikh
Fasting has been a part of holistic religious practices since ancient times. Nutritious food in fasting period establishes harmonious coordination between body, mind & soul. During fasting it is important to take care of nutrition with hydration to stay healthy & energetic.
1) Sago (Sabudana) – Sago is an excellent source of carbohydrates & provides good energy. Easy for digestion. Along with protein like milk (kheer), peanut & veggies (khichadi) improve its nutrition quality.
2) Varaiche tandul (Bhagar/Sama rice) – Sama rice gives satiety & fullness with good nutrient. It is high in fiber & low in sugar as compare to rice. Suitable to diabetics also. Sama rice is a gluten free grain with balanced carbohydrates, protein, fats, vitamins & minerals. Excellent source of nutrient during fasting.
3) Makhana (Lotus seeds) – Phool makahana are high in protein & carbohydrates which gives satiety, subsides hunger pangs & quenches thirst. Good source of magnesium as well as very low in fat & sodium.
4) Kuttu (Buckwhaeat) -Kuttu rich in all essential nutrients. Helps to provides sustainable energy for whole day. Presence of all essential nutrients in it makes us crave less while fasting.
5) Shinghara (Water Chest Nut) – Feast your fast with singhare ka dosa / idli with veggies. With all nutrients it provides alkalinity to the body. Reduces stress from body.
6) Rajgeera(Amranth)- Rajgeera is a power house of nutrient. It contains all essential amino acids, calcium fat soluble vitamin as well as water soluble vitamin. Complete source of nutrition during fasting.
7) Fruits – Fruits gives energy with fullness & satiety for longer periods. They are rich in phyto-nutrients which stay you healthy & glowing in festive season. Fruits like banana, papaya, watermelon are good source of nutrients & keeps hydration in body.
Dt Shahenaz shaikh
Inamdar multispeciality Hospital