MUCORMYCOSIS IN ORAL CAVITY IN POST COVID PATIENTSInamdar Hospital
- Covid 19 is a viral infection and its primary site of infection are the lungs.
- In recent times, there seems to be a few cases showing oral manifestations.
- This is being encountered, though rarely, in patients who have had covid 19.
- Other than the usual symptoms seen in covid positive patients, mucormycosis of oral cavity presents with fungal white patches on tongue. In some cases ulcers in mouth and gingivitis have also been reported.
- The reason for these oral manifestations could be due to the deficient immune response seen in patients having the covid 19 infection or in some cases where patients needed steroidal medication for treating covid 19 infection and thus had a poor immune system.Also patients who may have been long term diabetics, those with poor immune response e.g patients with HIV/AIDS, patients undergoing cancer treatment, etc, such patients who have had covid 19 , are more susceptible to opportunistic infections like mucormycosis of oral cavity.
Mucormycosis is a fungal infection , if left untreated can be fatal. Treatment is usually with anti fungal medication.