These days fashion has taken home in the oral cavity as well – oral piercings!!
Piercings are made in the tongue, cheek, lips so as to wear jewellery in them.
As the oral cavity is filled with bacteria, such piercings can get infected and may lead to swelling of the affected part, a swollen tongue can prove dangerous as it may prevent breathing.
Mouth piercings can cause bleeding, difficulty in speaking/swallowing/chewing, it can damage the tooth or fillings in them, the jewellery itself may break off increasing the risk of swallowing it or choking on it, increased risk of infection especially in patients who are diabetic/with heart conditions/bleeding disorders.
Long-term infections like hepatitis B and C can be gotten if the instruments used for the piercing are infected.
Oral care after piercing is very important to avoid complications-e.g-rinsing your mouth after every meal with lukewarm water and salt or using an alcohol-free mouth rinse, avoiding spicy and hot food, avoiding cutlery to eat food, avoid sharing cups etc.
Visit a health care provider in case of signs of infection like redness, swelling, lots of bleeding, discharge, bad smell, rash or fever.